Considering Minecraft in your classroom or just want to know what the buzz is all about?
Check out these 12 outstanding resources!
I'm preparing for our GHO tonight Minecraft in the Classroom -- Why? .. Why Not? -- and I'll be including this post in the show notes.
1. Can gaming change education? Brain research has answers. ecampus news, March 12, 2014.
- Moving Learning Games Forward, Paper from the Education Arcade, MIT
- Policy Brief: Game Changer: Investing in Digital Play to Advance Children’s Learning and Health, from the Joan Ganz Cooney Center
- Why Gaming Could be the Future of Education Scientific American (preview)
Google Scholar curated results
3. Minecraft, beyond construction and survival by ACM (Assn for Computing Machinery)
Digital Library, 2014.
4. Teaching Scientific Concepts Using a Virtual World--Minecraft, ERIC, Short, Daniel
Teaching Science, v58 n3 p55-58 Sep 2012.
Web reviews and articles
5. Commonsense Media review of Minecraft.8. How Minecraft Teaches Reading, Writing and Problem Solving - Ask a Tech Teacher, April, 2014.
6. Minecraft or MinecraftEdu at School? Pros, Cons, and What it's Great For - Graphite Reviews and Ratings, September 24, 2013.
7. Minecraft in Schools, with curricular links, by Ian Keane, January 17, 2013.
9. Beyond 'Screen Time': What Minecraft Teaches Kids - The Atlantic, April 28, 2014.
10. Should teachers use Minecraft in our classrooms? - BBC, June 20, 2014 (video briefly addresses the concern about addiction)
11. Is Minecraft the Ultimate Educational Tool? from PBS Idea Channel.