|Old enough to remember this?|
As you know, Richard, new is not necessarily better. Wasn't The Book of Knowledge the BEST? Everything was in there!
Here are my recommendations:
1. What in the World?
2. 5000 Awesome Facts (About Everything!)
3. Why? 1,111 Answers to Everything
These daring and dangerous books are timeless and ageless, and I ordered them for our library:
4. The Daring Book for Girls (and 5. The Double-Daring Book for Girls), by Andrea J. Buchanan
6. The Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn and Hall Iggulden
Saving the best for last:
Encyclopedic children-of-all-ages book publishing ROYALTY in my opinion is Dorling Kindersley!
DK's consistently award-winning content and the distinctive look and elegant feel of DK paper books make for a most fulfilling book experience!
Here are my top four DK children's book recommendations:
7. Children's Illustrated Encyclopedia
8. First Encyclopedia
9. Merriam-Webster Illustrated Dictionary
10. Smithsonian Picturepedia
Save your pennies for when your granddaughter turns 8, Richard. You'll probably want to get some of DK's beautiful Eyewitness titles.
So the short answer is: it will take at least 10 books to replace our beloved Book of Knowledge!
P. S. This "books and reading" post marks the official merge of my SEABURY READS blog with mauilibrarian2.com. See my transition post at: SEABURY READS is moving to mauilibrarian2.com!